FoxHillViewfromPond.jpg


Across from historic Trinity Church in lower Manhattan, LHPA designed a three-level parish house by joining two office buildings, one five stories and the other 30, and using an existing air shaft to create a skylit foyer and central stair. The parish house includes offices, classrooms, and dining rooms for 250 people; closed circuit TV and exhibit systems for historic communion vessels and early rectors' vestments. Maintaining the context and integrity of landmarked Trinity Church was a prime concern.

Trinity Church Pedestrian Bridge spans busy Trinity Place and links the church with its parish house. Here, too, historic context was important. The lacy, flat-arched 85 foot long structure was inspired by the cast iron bridge, which spanned Broadway in 1866. It was fabricated with arc-welded steel and ornamental iron railings that are formed with a series of cross braces and bronze medallions etched with Trinity’s coat of arms. The bridge design frames the view down Trinity Place, one of the area’s last open vistas.

 

Awards:

  • Award of Excellence, American Institute of Architects

  • Prize Bridge Award, American Institute of Steel Construction, Inc.

  • Certificate of Engineering Excellence, New York Association of Consulting Engineers

Publications: