One mile north of the Bear Mountain Bridge, a 13-acre peninsula juts into the Hudson River. On the north end of the site is a Colonial Revival brick mansion commissioned in 1894 by Edward Livingston, a descendant of Robert Livingston, a signer of the Declaration of Independence. Although the house eventually fell into disrepair, the beauty of the land endures and the mansion has been faithfully restored.
The initial renovation phase focused on the deteriorated copper roof, galvanized iron cornice, and porches. Historic nitrate photographic negatives found in the home were used to restore the porch staircase and other parts of the mansion. New column capitals, balusters, and decorative plaster moldings were modeled on the few extant examples.
A full year was required to renovate the basement, where the main kitchen, ice and coal storage; laundry room, wine cellar, and billiard room were located. The restoration team modernized the underground waste and water pipes, removed the flaking plaster, poured a new concrete floor, and repaired the brick walls and wood beams in the ceiling.
- Citation for Excellence in Historic Restoration, American Institute of Architects/Westchester/Mid-Hudson Chapter & Hudson Valley magazine