Henry Street Studios
The former 1870's Peaks Mason Mints Candy Factory in the Brooklyn Heights Landmark District was converted into artists’ studios and apartments, inspiring subsequent redevelopment activity in the area. The project created living and working spaces for artists while respecting the original handsome, six-story, heavy timber structure. Open air and indoor exhibit spaces were provided for displaying artists’ work within the facility. Additional spaces downstairs provided community meeting rooms, darkrooms and storage for the benefit of this artists’ enclave.
Since the area was declared an historic district, the building was subject to approval by the Landmarks Preservation Commission, which sought the retention of such elements as sections of the original cornice. The historic facade of the building was left intact on three elevations, installing steel-framed windows in place of wooden ones, and repainting the original sign on the parapet. The only “new” elevation replaced the windowless party wall facing north. The old masonry wall was opened up with large windows, retaining the steel channels required for shoring as part of the exterior design.
- Citation for Residential Design Award, Progressive Architecture
- Residential Design Awards, American Institute of Architects New York Chapter
- Conversion in a Candy Factory; Progressive Architecture
- Six Winners; The New York Times Magazine