This renovation to a historic library and the addition of a modern glass-walled structure expanded the building while respecting its 1877-era character. The design also reoriented the complex toward its backyard garden and outdoor reading room, bringing a new sense of light and space to the interiors, along with numerous updated facilities.
While retaining the building’s special character, the design practically doubles the space for patrons, staff and books. The design also addresses important structural issues and updates the library’s overall accessibility and technical facilities.
To take advantage of the newly improved garden setting, LHPA designed a reading terrace at ground level and a “reading porch” upstairs facing the garden. The porch doubles as a speaker’s platform for the library’s popular lecture series “Fridays at Five.”
- Excelsior Award for Public Architecture, American Institute of Architects New York State