Across from historic Trinity Church in lower Manhattan, LHPA designed a three-level parish house by joining two office buildings, one five stories and the other 30, and using an existing air shaft to create a skylit foyer and central stair. The parish house includes offices, classrooms, and dining rooms for 250 people, closed circuit TV and exhibit systems for historic communion vessels and early rectors' vestments. Maintaining the context and integrity of landmarked Trinity Church was a prime concern.
Trinity Church Pedestrian Bridge spans busy Trinity Place and links the church with its parish house. Here, too, historic context was important. The lacy, flat-arched 85 foot long structure was inspired by the cast iron bridge, which spanned Broadway in 1866. It was fabricated with arc-welded steel and ornamental iron railings that are formed with a series of cross braces and bronze medallions etched with Trinity’s coat of arms. The bridge design frames the view down Trinity Place, one of the area’s last open vistas.
© 2012 LHP Architects, PLLC. All Rights Reserved. Website by Spliteye