Lee Harris Pomeroy Architects recently completed a major renovation to St. James Church and Parish House on Madison Avenue, upgrading the sanctuary to accomodate religious functions and community outreach. A new two-story lobby and new elevator have improved circulation between the two buildings, and a new glass atrium is a striking architectural addition.
The renovation of the historic neo-gothic sanctuary included an entirely new floor structure and finish incorporating new heating and air-conditioning systems. The original pews, which were installed when the church was built in 1884, were completely restored to their original condition. Existing wood wainscoting and carved altar furnishings were also restored. The acoustical environment of the sanctuary was enhanced by a new sound system as well as improvements to the existing pipe organ. Lighting was upgraded and a new three level columbarium tower was built within the corner spire. A skylight at the top of the columbarium will provide a view into the bell chamber.
By expanding into attic space, new classrooms were created and new library and archives were created within existing spaces adjacent to the sanctuary.
© 2012 LHP Architects, PLLC. All Rights Reserved. Website by Spliteye